Thursday, June 6, 2013

Towering
Author: Alex Flinn
Release date: May 14th 2013
Publisher: HarperTeen 
Series: N/A
Purchase: Amazon | The Book Depository
Add to your library: Goodreads

At first, I merely saw his face, his hands on the window ledge. Then, his whole body as he swung himself through the window. Only I could not see what he swung on.


Until, one day, I told my dream self to look down. And it was then that I saw. He had climbed on a rope. I knew without asking that the rope had been one of my own tying.

Rachel is trapped in a tower, held hostage by a woman she’s always called Mama. Her golden hair is growing rapidly, and to pass the time, she watches the snow fall and sings songs from her childhood, hoping someone, anyone, will hear her. 

Wyatt needs time to reflect or, better yet, forget about what happened to his best friend, Tyler. That’s why he’s been shipped off to the Adirondacks in the dead of winter to live with the oldest lady in town. Either that, or no one he knows ever wants to see him again.


Dani disappeared seventeen years ago without a trace, but she left behind a journal that’s never been read, not even by her overbearing mother…until now.  (via Goodreads)

P.S. There's a spoiler in the latter part so read at your own risk. ;) 

A fairy tale is absolutely one of my guilty pleasures. It's just so easy to read and there's happy ending. What's not to like about it? And so are retellings. Especially with a modern touch.

I've read and enjoyed Beastly so I was a little confident that this won't disappoint. Also, Michelle from The Escapist recommended it! So nothing to worry about. Oh, follow her guys!!!

The start was pretty slow but when things started to get really mysterious, I was reading it faster than I expected. It's kind of addicting for me in a way. I didn't stop until the end. I was able to put the pieces together except for who Mama was! I never saw it coming but then, it was so understandable. Unlike with Beastly, this was full of mystery and secrets. That's just like Rapunzel right? So mysterious.

I gotta admit. I got a little off by the romance. It was obviously insta-love. If it's not, then I don't know what it is. It was sort of irritating at times because, it is irritating! Like Rachel and Wyatt are only together because they were like paired or something. Even if that was the case, I still enjoyed some of their moments. It was just like the other moments in fairy tales. So mushy and cheesy.

I don't know why but I sort of wanted more action. I thought since it is a retelling, the action will be stronger and bolder. That's how most of the modern retellings are, right? But still, it was fine. 

I would have love this more if the ultimate secret was elaborated more. Sure, it said why Rachel was locked in the tower, why Danielle disappeared, why most of the townspeople disappeared. But I didn't get why, when and where did that start. There must always be some kind of root. And I didn't get that. I mean, really, having a drug as that magical factor? It was so, I don't know. Weird. I wish I have known where did that magical drug really started. And like why Rachel was the chosen one to end the curse and where did Danielle and Zach disappeared to. Another thing is Rapunzel's magical hair and tears. It's just sort of odd in a way, for me. Like those things were included just so it can be said that Rachel's magical in a way. I just needed some more elaboration and explanation, that's it. 

Towering is really a modern retelling of Rapunzel. Do not ever expect to read some kind of old tricks here, that's not going to be present. Everything in here is modern. Well, except for the insta-love. But if you're a fan of fairy tales and retellings, you'd probably enjoy this one.

Hey, there! Thanks for stopping by my blog! Feel free to leave a comment. I'd love to hear from you! I'll reply as soon as I can! ;)

The Bookish Confections . 2017 Copyright. All rights reserved. Designed by Blogger Template | Free Blogger Templates